29 August 2013

I'm Tho Thorry About What I Thaid!

On our way up to the Acropolis we came across this little street full of restaurants.  The owner was a ginger nut.... the only redheaded Greek in the village you could say!  He was so lovely.  He smiled and talked to us and gave us directions to the Acropolis.  Sure we could see it from our hotel, but getting there on foot was a different story. We decided to back track after our walk to eat there and a share in well earned drink.

He was as happy as Zorba that we had come back and was super keen to chat to Madds.  

 Now we had been practising our Greek for the past few days and we had our hellos and goodbyes and thank yous and pleases down pat!  

However, when we spoke to this chap, Madds said, "efcharisto" meaning 'thank you', but because she has a slight lisp, to the untrained ear it sounded a little like "efcharithto".  The man, happy that she was giving it a crack replied, "That was very good, but when you say it, you don't say 'efcharithto' because you sound Spanish."  Madds was a little taken aback, but explained that perhaps it was her lisp....... the man was mortified!  And we've never laughed so hard.  For the remainder of the dining experience we all spoke with a lisp.  He even came back and said "I'm tho very thorry for thaying that thing that I thaid.  Please exthept theethe kitheth." 

 Hilarious!


Demetri - shortly after unknowingly correcting Madeline's speech impediment


If you are ever in Athens...... have a look at this place Geros Toy Moria  the food was outstanding!



Another reason we love this place is that we were sitting inside and a big group were sitting inside but with big open windows.  We thought how lucky we were that there was nobody near us smoking and that the people inside surely wouldn't smoke..... never assume, you know what happens there!

The lady directly behind me, we could have reached out and touched we were that close, lit up a dart and we immediately started looking around for another table.  When I caught the waiter's eye I asked if we could possibly move because of the smoke.  He said "No, I fix this problem."  And he popped inside and said to the lady, "Lady, there is a problem with the smoke."  She put it out and all was well.  Well, when I say well, we were happy.  She tried to give me a couple of daggers, but I fended them off with my 'Evs' look coupled with a little shrug.  We may have won this battle, but the war is certainly not over... especially not here in Greece!

After lunch we had decided that we would give a traditional Turkish Bath a go.  I know we're not in Turkey, but they had one there and it was hot and we were sweaty.


However, when we go there, it was a museum and not for actual use anymore.  Luckily we didn't get our gear off!  The little guide followed us through the 6-7 rooms standing quite close behind watching like a hawk in case we did something we weren't supposed to.  We asked if we could lay on the marble table that was used for massages for photo purchoses only and she said she didn't think it was a good idea, so I just leant against it gingerly.....


Then I put my face on it give the effect of the massage and she said "no, I don't think that is a good idea."  I don't think this girl would know a good idea if I threw it at her.


Heavens - imagine how short people were back then.... 


The washing area


The bathing area


The change rooms


The whole tour took about 4 minutes and it cost €2 each.  

We do what we can to help the Greek economy.



No comments:

Post a Comment